Thursday, May 25, 2017

Marta Mixa: Flying Down Mt. Charleston

"Marta worked extremely hard for this race," said her Volte coach Rich Cooper.  "I'm amazed at how much she has improved since I started training her two years ago.

"I'm looking forward to seeing her run her next marathon."

Volte founder Bill Dwyer goes even further.

"Marta worked her training plan perfectly leading up to race day and she executed her race plan very well," he said.  "A Boston Qualifier will happen in the not too distant future."

Marta's Race Report

On the beautiful, clear, windy and cold morning of Saturday, April 29, we boarded a shuttle that took us to the top of Kyle Canyon, where the Revel Mt. Charleston Marathon would start.

As we arrived, we witnessed the most gorgeous sunrise.

My nerves were under control.

I was excited but not nervous, which is unusual for me before races.

I saw a few familiar faces from my Volte team which reassured me that I was among people who care and who love me.

I found Juan Flores doing his usual drills before the race and I joined him. His humor was welcomed and I knew he would have an amazing race.

The horn blew and I took off with confidence.

I was prepared for the first hill since Leanne Rosser had told me about it. I took it with ease and knew it wouldn't last long.  Sure enough, it was over in no time and the descent began.

There were times when I felt as if I were flying or floating like a feather.

I did not feel my legs moving, yet at times I was running an 8:30 pace, which is quite fast for me.

Marta mowing the miles down the mountain.
(Photo courtesy of Revel Mt. Charleston Marathon)
Later on I kept a steady pace between 9:15 to 9:30 pace like Coach Rich (Cooper) had advised me to do.

I was surprised how fast the miles were passing.

By the time I reached the half way point I felt as strong as ever and my confidence increased. I knew I would have the fastest race I had ever done.

I encountered a runner who was about my same pace and he decided to tag along with me. I ended up pacing him until mile 21.

And then, right there, I felt my right calf starting to tighten up followed by horrible cramps that began to affect my performance and I could no longer keep up my previous pace.

Marta still looking strong, despite fighting off cramps at this point of the race.
(Photo courtesy of Revel Mt. Charleston Marathon)
The cramps lasted for the last five miles and my focus was getting fuzzy.

I knew then I could not reach my Boston (Marathon) qualifying time, but I knew I had a PR. I never quit. I jogged, ran and walked some until the end.

When I was about 200 meters from the finish line I saw three familiar faces:  Tom Ninke taking pictures with his sweet smile, Mayra Caamano reaching for my hand, and Bill Dwyer with his camera and a huge grin on his face.

And this is what "his camera" captured.
(Photo courtesy of Bill Dwyer)
I was overwhelmed with joy and tears began to swell in my eyes.

I had made it and my Volte tribe was there to receive me.

I would run Mt. Charleston again in a heart beat.  It is the most incredible race I have ever done.

I want to thank you all for your support.  Volte is more than a team; we are a family!

No comments:

Post a Comment