Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cooper's Corner: Houston Half Marathon


As I watched the weather all week, I started to prepare myself mentally for what the weather would be.

I have run in some pretty tough conditions before (Houston Marathon - Ice Bowl in 1997), but for the first time in my running career I contemplated not running.

Thankfully, the race organizers postponed the start one hour so I never had to make that decision.

The conditions at the start were not perfect, but temperature-wise it felt really good.

I had been sick all week and not done any running, so my expectations were not high.

Especially knowing that the adventure I faced was a fairly difficult course, but I also knew that for everything we do there is always a reason for it.

God presents us with challenges in order to make us stronger. So as I crossed the start line I decided I was going to run my race according to Coach Bill's race plan.

The first couple of miles were slow going as 5,000 runners set out on the out and back course.

My first miles were 9:49 and 9:23, but once I got out on to Allen Parkway I settled onto my plan pace of between 9:00 and 9:15.

At mile 5, I came through at just over 46 minutes and was beginning to feel stronger as I moved down the road. Of course I was soaking wet by this time because of the steady rain, but the conditions were ideal.

There is something about rain that forces me to focus. Every runner experiences it:  it is called running in the zone – and I was in the tunnel!

At mile 7, I came through at 1:05 and I knew that I could run hard so I picked up the pace. I love passing people and for the rest of the way nobody passed me.

Miles 8, 9, 10 were at 8:51, 8:36 and 8:59, and 11 and 12 came at an 8:34 pace.

As I came to the last mile I kept reminding myself that it was only four laps on the track and I blazed a 8:09 final mile. The final time was 1:58.38, which made me very happy.

The half marathon is probably my favorite distance because it is long enough that not everybody can do it, but it is also a distance that allows me to race, which is something I love to do.

As I finished up, "Amazing Grace" blasted in my ears.  Once again, God had given me the gift of a great race.

Hopefully in 12 weeks, I'll feel the same way running down Allen Parkway on my way to finishing my 11th Houston Marathon.

A huge thanks goes out to Coach Bill and Coach Mary for coming out to cheer me on Sunday.

I'm so happy I joined Volte.

See you on the road friends,

Coach Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment